Don’t get me wrong. God’s got a plan for everyone and anytime of year is a great time to get sober. I just happened to get sober in July of 2008 so admittedly I might be a little biased. Either way, here are five reasons that I believe the summertime is a great time to get sober.
- You Can Go Outside! – If addiction is a disease of isolation, then recovery is all about connection. Many people report that they feel a deep sense of connection in nature. So the summertime lends itself to all kinds of cool outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, and biking!
- Lot’s of Recovery Events! – Most major cities have HUGE recovery communities and they tend to have a lot of cool stuff going on in the summer such as parties, conventions, and sober sports leagues. All of these are great opportunities to build relationships and be of service!
- It Makes Detox Just a Little Bit Easier! – One of the most common withdrawal symptoms for a variety of drugs is shivers and constantly feeling cold. So, the natural heat of the summertime can make this uncomfortable process just a little more bearable.
- No School! – Here in Austin summertime means that traffic is just a little better so that is less stress right off the bat. Also, for individuals who would like to return to school, either as a student or an instructor, it gives them some time to find their legs in recovery and dedicate plenty of time to Stepwork before returning to the hectic pace of academia.
- People are Happier! – Many individuals who are in recovery have some sort of dual diagnosis. For those individuals with seasonal affective disorders the summertime tends to be the peak of reported feelings of peace and happiness due to the warm temperatures, sunny weather, and longer days!
Stay sober my friends!