Yoga Can Help Mind, Body, and Spirit: Tips to Get Started
When people hear the word yoga, they might think about poses and postures. Those offer great benefits but they are not the whole yoga picture. There is way more to exercise than the body. It is about emotional well-being and connection to the self and others. Learn some tips for how to embrace the mind, body, spirit aspects of yoga for overall health and recovery.
Consciousness-Based Yoga Practices
As people expand awareness through yoga, they become capable of perceiving the richness of life. Over time, yoga becomes something people live into, not something they ‘practice.’ more balance and harmony builds great community and the self. When the inner world shifts, so, too, does the perspective on the outer world. The following are ways to engage with a more mind, body, and spirit approach to life through yoga.
- Daily practice: establish a time and practice that works every day. Keep in mind it is better to do it ten to twenty minutes a day than longer sessions only once a week. Explore styles and teachers and find those that meet your needs. Find uninterrupted time, turn off the phone, inhale and exhale, and breathe into the poses.
- Meditate: meditation and yoga compliment each other and share purpose. Powerful instruction with simple practices can be found almost anywhere. The tools and techniques a person needs are really just closing the eyes, breathing, and paying attention to the internal flow. We are all just becoming aware, learning to let go, and find space for the self and others.
- Practice non-judgment: remind yourself that whenever judgment comes, it is okay to let it go. The ego will need to control based on fear. It is okay to let the self go and be free of that.
- Find compassion: driving is a great tool for self-awareness and compassion. It may seem odd but it helps to stretch and set aside intentions while driving. Relax the grip on the wheel, just drive. Be aware of surroundings and slow down. Let go of whatever story is present and practice compassion for other drivers.
- Be aware. Cultivate awareness but shifting into a mode of listening and really seeing what is going on around you. Your soul, interior-wise, needs tending, along with the mind and body. Establish peace in the inner silence and seek joy and reverence for nature. Seek out those things that bring ultimate peace and joy.
Yoga is great for enhancing mind-body balance and releasing stress. This is a great gift of yoga that serves and nourishes people all the time. Yoga can help people discover internal gifts of peace, harmony, and love when practiced on a regular basis alone or in community.
The Last Resort provides a safe, supportive environment for men in a retreat-like setting. Nature is an important component of recovery and healing. We strive to provide a place of enrichment that cultivates the inner as well as the outer journey of recovery. However you find your way to the Last Resort, we endeavor to provide a haven where you can journey through recovery feeling like your life and story have meaning and a purpose. Call us to find out more: 877-322-2643.