The struggles people face in treatment can force them to think about how they are going to approach healing. A holistic approach can be a great way to improve the body, mind, and soul that has been impacted by addiction and perhaps mental health issues. Conventional medicine can be used in conjunction with holistic therapies to bring healing in treatment and recovery.
What is Holistic Treatment
Dependence treatment, in a holistic fashion, is considered a good alternative to mainstream treatment and its use of conventional medicine. Many people who go to rehab are more equipped to face the issues head on when they can incorporate mindfulness practices including yoga, art therapy, meditation, nutrition counseling, and other things which support healing. Addiction treatment centers offer holistic programs that help people in the following ways:
- Learn to cope with triggers using mindfulness techniques
- Find a different way of thinking or seeing their triggers
- Understand how and why they were led to use substances
Some of the best holistic programs include massage therapy, acupuncture, art and music therapy, spiritual counseling, and nutritional therapy as just a few of the things they provide to support recovery. It is a daunting process to face yourself in recovery, but it is easier if you take a holistic approach.
Finding the Right Program
When looking for the right program, there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to view it. Treatment options are all different and each individual will have different needs. If you look at some of the following tips, it may help you discern how to find a good holistic rehab opportunity:
- Know the treatment options: find out from the facility what they offer and how it is structured around recovery
- Length of treatment: outcomes depend on how long therapy takes to work. If you need weeks and are only in a short-term program, it may not be a good fit for you to try some holistic practices that you cannot continue after the program ends
- Post-rehab: look at how the aftercare program is set up to support people in recovery. Whether through local support group channels or other means, it should be set up to help you feel successful in recovery long after you have left treatment
If you are interested in holistic healing and treatment, you are more likely to find what you need if you ask for what you want. Knowing yourself and what your needs are can help but you may not know what will help you, either. Ask around, talk to friends, and do some research to see if you can locate a program that will suit your needs.
The Last Resort has nature based programs that support a holistic approach to recovery. If you are struggling, let us help you find a place of healing and hope from addiction. Call us to find out more: 512-750-6750.