Hancock Neighborhood in Austin: A Historical and Charming Community
Hancock neighborhood is a historical and charming community located in the heart of Austin, Texas. The neighborhood was established in the 1940s and 1950s and was named after Lewis Hancock, a former mayor of Austin who founded the Austin Country Club and Golf Course. Hancock offers a unique blend of history, natural beauty, and modern amenities, making it a popular destination for families, university students and faculty, and professionals who work downtown.
Real Estate and Housing in Hancock
The Hancock neighborhood is known for its beautiful historical homes, ranging from simple bungalows and modest cottages to some of Austin’s grandest mansions, including Greek Revival and Georgian Revival designs. The neighborhood offers a variety of housing options, including single-family homes, apartments, and condos. The average home price in Hancock is around $700,000, making it one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Austin.
Local Businesses in Hancock
Hancock neighborhood is home to a variety of local businesses, including restaurants, cafes, bars, and shops. The neighborhood has a vibrant food scene with many popular eateries, such as Hoover’s Cooking, a Southern-style restaurant known for its fried chicken and mac and cheese, and the iconic Spider House Cafe and Ballroom, a coffee shop and music venue that has been a staple of the Austin music scene for decades.
Points of Interest Around Hancock
Hancock neighborhood is conveniently located just north of the University of Texas at Austin and downtown, making it a popular area for students and professionals. The neighborhood is also home to several points of interest, including:
- Hancock Golf Course – Established in 1899, Hancock Golf Course is the oldest golf course in Texas that is still in operation today. The course offers beautiful views of the Austin skyline and is a popular destination for golfers of all skill levels.
- Hancock Recreation Center – The Hancock Recreation Center offers a variety of programs and activities for people of all ages, including fitness classes, sports leagues, and summer camps.
- Hancock Shopping Center – The Hancock Shopping Center was Austin’s first shopping mall and is home to a variety of shops and restaurants, including a Central Market grocery store.
- Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Mansion – The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Mansion is a beautiful historic mansion built in 1931 and is now used as an event space and wedding venue.
Overall, the Hancock neighborhood is a historical and diverse area that offers a variety of amenities, architectural styles, and convenient location to downtown Austin and the University of Texas. Hancock in Austin offers a unique blend of history, natural beauty, and modern amenities that make it a desirable place to live, work, and visit. With its beautiful historical homes, vibrant food scene, and convenient location, Hancock is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the best of Austin.
5 Interesting Facts About Hancock Neighborhood in Austin, Texas
- Hancock neighborhood is named after Lewis Hancock, who was the mayor of Austin from 1895 to 1897 and founded the Austin Country Club and Golf Course.
- The neighborhood is home to St. David’s Hospital and Hancock Center, which was Austin’s first shopping mall.
- The T.C. Rather house, built in 1911, is an example of Spanish Renaissance Revival architecture with a tower entrance element and baroque ornamentation.
- The neighborhood has a variety of architectural styles, ranging from simple bungalows and modest cottages to some of Austin’s grandest mansions, including Greek Revival and Georgian Revival designs.
- Hancock is a residential neighborhood conveniently located just west of I-35 and north of the University of Texas and downtown, making it a popular area for families, university students and faculty, and professionals who work downtown.
Driving Directions From Hancock, TX To The Last Resort Recovery Center
Driving Directions From Hancock, TX To Allandale, TX