Crack Cocaine Addiction Treatment Center Austin
Cocaine is a potent and highly addictive stimulant derived from leaves from the South American coca plant. The drug typically comes in the form of a white powder, which is commonly sniffed through the nose. The powder can also be dissolved into water and injected for faster, more intense effects. Crack is a crystallized form of cocaine that gets its name from the crackling sound that occurs when it is heated. This drug is typically smoked and is even more addictive than the traditional form of cocaine. Whether individuals use powdered cocaine or crack cocaine, they need cocaine addiction treatment.
Effects of Cocaine/Crack on the Mind and Body
Both cocaine and crack produce an intense feeling of euphoria, known as the “high.” This feeling may give users a burst of energy and self-confidence in social situations, making it an attractive option for those suffering from anxiety disorders. However, the high is short-lived, leaving users craving more of the substance to retain the euphoria. Cocaine users also build up a tolerance to the drug, which means they will need larger amounts to get the same effect over time. These characteristics of cocaine are precisely what makes the drug so addictive and dangerous.
In addition to the high produced by cocaine, the drug also produces the following effects:
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate, sometimes to dangerous levels
- Elevated body temperature, possibly dangerous levels at times
- Sleep disturbances and inability to sleep
- Loss of appetite
- Hyper-stimulation, excitability, and irritability
- Hallucinations and psychosis
Signs of Crack Cocaine Addiction
There are a number of warning signs to look for if you are concerned someone you love is addicted to cocaine or crack:
- Weight loss due to decreased appetite, which could lead to malnutrition
- Cracked lips if drug is smoked, persistently runny nose if it is snorted
- Loss of smell and chronic sinus infections if drug is snorted
- Requiring higher amounts of the drug to get the same effect (tolerance)
- Spending more time using and recovering from the effects of the drug
- Sleep disruptions and persistent fatigue
- Depression, anxiety, agitation, and irritability
- Intense cravings and withdrawal symptoms if the drug is stopped
- Continued use even if the drug is causing serious social and professional problems
Crack Cocaine Addiction Treatment
Cocaine and crack are highly addictive substances that usually cannot be stopped without professional substance abuse treatment. The Last Resort works with men struggling with cocaine and crack addictions, offering a wide range of addiction treatment programs to offer them the greatest chance of a successful recovery. Don’t let crack or cocaine ruin your life and the lives of those around you. Call The Last Resort today at 877-892-7997.