Addiction Treatment

Symptoms Of Alcohol Poisoning

Written By:

Becky Babb

woman dealing with alcoholism is concerned about symptoms of alcohol poisoning

Alcohol poisoning can be fatal. You should take care to know what the symptoms of alcohol poisoning are if you spend time drinking or around people that do drink. This way you can identify alcohol poisoning before it becomes deadly.

Anyone can get alcohol poisoning. Being aware of the dangers of heavy drinking can save a life. If you or a loved one struggle with controlling your drinking, reach out to a medical alcohol detox program.

What are the Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

A baby can become sometimes poisoned from something that they grabbed off of the bathroom shelf; an adult can become poisoned from drinking too much beer one night. You have probably heard that you won’t get sick if you stick to beer or if you drink your beer after you drink liquor. But it doesn’t matter, because once you ingest enough alcohol you could be at risk for alcohol poisoning.

If you see someone that may be experiencing alcohol poisoning, they are in need of immediate medical attention. Here are the signs of alcohol poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Confusion
  • Blue skin (or pale) and cold skin
  • Unconscious
  • Slow or irregular breathing

People that have become poisoned may not display all of these symptoms. If you notice any signs of alcohol poisoning, it is best to call medical help right away. If you are in the vicinity of someone with alcohol poisoning, you should:

  1. Call 911
  2. Be ready to tell the paramedic what you know
  3. Tend to the person
  4. If they are vomiting, roll them on their side

Even if you think you may get them in trouble because they are underage, what is more important? Do not be afraid to ask for help. You also have the option to take the person to the hospital yourself, but in many cases, you may also be intoxicated. Please do not drive drunk, whatever you do.

How Do People Get Alcohol Poisoning? 

Drinking too much alcohol can be extremely dangerous. Too much alcohol for your system depends on your size and metabolism. You can also get alcohol poisoning from things like mouthwash, soap, and other products with alcohol in them. Much of the time, people get alcohol poisoning from binge drinking. Alcohol abuse treatment can provide a variety of resources to understand binge drinking and further issues with alcohol abuse.

Binge drinking is known as drinking five or more (for males) or four or more (for females) drinks in two hours. Binge drinking is common among young people that are not used to the effects that alcohol will have on them. This is a prime time for people to become addicted to alcohol as well.

The human brain is not fully formed until people are in their early 20s. If you are in high school or college, your brain is still growing. Consuming large amounts of alcohol during this time can make you more susceptible to becoming an alcoholic later on in life.

Getting Help for Alcohol Dependency

If you think that you or a friend has consumed too much alcohol and is showing symptoms of alcohol poisoning, get emergency help. Alcohol poisoning can be a sign of a larger problem. At The Last Resort, an addiction rehab center, we offer comprehensive care for alcohol addiction. We can help you to plan the best way for you to stop drinking, and lead a long and healthy life. Call us today today to find out more.

There is a Better Way to Live. It's Time to Get the Help You Deserve.

Take the first step in getting your life back. Speak with our admissions team today.
Contact Us